Clean water makes us feel better. That's why a lot of us own a Brita Water Filter. Just pour the water in and let the filter do the work! I have noticed, however, that without proper cleaning and care the Brita can get pretty disgusting! Do not forget that if it isn't clean, the water you are putting in may just not be very clean either! You never know what bacteria or dirt can be in the filter after weeks of just sitting there. To make sure your filter is nice and clean, take it apart and give it a good scrubbing with mild soap and hot water (yep that is all it needs!). You can also soak the pitcher and lid in vinegar or wipe it down with a vinegar/water mixture to get the pitcher extra clean. You can simply wash it with the rest of your dishes. I suggest washing the pitcher out at least once every two weeks to make sure the water you are drinking is indeed clean! Also make sure to change out your filters once every two months. In fact, you can go HERE and sign up for a reminder e-mail from Brita to change your filter PLUS a $2.00 coupon off your next filter.
Congratulations to Abby Garman for winning the give away for the 50 dollar gift card!! Abby asked, "Can spray Lysol be harmful if used around kids? I worry about my kids breathing in too many chemicals." Perhaps Dr. Jana will answer this question during her LIVE CHAT at 3:00 P.M. EST today! Below is the video feed for the chat!
No one enjoys allergens. They make us sneeze, cough, and feel downright miserable. What is an allergen exactly? An allergen is "a substance that is foreign to the body and can cause an allergic reaction in certain people. For example: pollen, dander, mold." Well, that doesn't sound very fun does it? In fact, it is just downright awful. That is why we can be thankful for our friends at Lysol and their free online community with lots of awesome tips on reducing allergens in your home. In fact, we recently had a giveaway from Lysol that featured Dr. Laura Jana. Dr. Jana (nationally acclaimed pediatrician and mother of 3) provides excellent advice on fighting allergens. She is here to help give some great advice once again.
Lysol is hosting a live chat with health and allergen experts this Thursday, May 19, 2011 at 3:00 P.M. EST. This chat will be with Dr. Jana and she will be discussing Fighting Spring Allergens and Allergen-Triggered Asthma. What a great way to learn great tips about helping allergen proof your home!
If you can't make the video chat, you can still ask questions by going to the Lysol Facebook page and leaving your questions in advance (and getting a chance to win a gift card) then tune in on your own time and watch Dr. Jana answer your questions or visit the Facebook page to share your own tips and learn what works for others!
1.) Submit a relevant question about allergens for Dr. Jana – either on the official Lysol Facebook page or Lysol.com – Ask an Expert. Then come back and comment with where you posted the question and what your question was in the comments area below.
Additional ways to enter (only after the first entry is fulfilled):
2. Tweet or Facebook this contest using @acleanmanor. And don’t forget to leave a comment below stating you have done so.
3. Become a Facebook Fan of ACleanManor Fan Page. Leave a comment below if you have done so or if you are already.
4. Become a Facebook Fan of Lysol. Leave a comment if you have done so or if you are already.
This contest ends Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time.
Below are the Ask an Expert chat and Ask an expert chat. Check back on Thursday as well!
*Disclosure: Lysol provided me with a $50 gift card, but this post and opinions are my own and not paid for or influenced by the item provided.
I am one of those strange people that have never minded cleaning the bathroom. Weird huh? Perhaps it is due to the fact that both of my bathrooms are small or because I love the feeling of a nice clean bathroom, but either way I love spring cleaning the bathroom. My house has two small full bathrooms. I always start with the one off of our bedroom because it tends to take a little longer. Below are the steps to take when spring cleaning your bathroom. Please remember that spring cleaning does not happen over night! Take one week to do each room so that it doesn’t become an overwhelming task. In the end you’ll feel like you have a brand new house!
• Pour a small amount of Murphy’s Oil Soap into a bucket and fill the bucket 1/4 to 1/2 full with water. Have rubber gloves and a nice rag ready to use.
• If you have medicine cabinets/shelves begin with those. I was a little surprised at how many expired medicines were in our cabinet. Make sure to carefully dispose of the medicine. Take a moment to read the Food and Drug Administration's suggestions for medication disposal.
• Take out the items off of each shelf and wipe down all sides of the shelf your Murphy’s Oil Soap mixture. Wipe dry with a clean cloth and organize any items you will be keeping in the cabinet.
• My bathroom does not have a linen closet in it, however, yours might. Take time to go through the linen closet shelves. Wipe them down and purge unnecessary items (have you noticed I LOVE saying that?).
• Wipe out all lights and fans in the bathroom.
• This is also a great time to clean out any toothbrush holders, etc. I soak mine in vinegar for about 1/2 an hour and then wash with soap and water.
• For all of you that have a cabinets/drawers underneath or beside your sink make sure and clean these out and wipe them down. Put all items back in their place.
• It is time to attack the shower/bath. You may want to use another bucket with hot water for this area. Empty the area of any small items such as shampoo, conditioner, soap, or toys.Magic eraser now makes a new product specifically for wiping down your shower or bath area! If you want to go the extra mile, use your normal bathtub cleaner such as Scrubber Bubbles or non-toxic Seventh Generation Tile Cleaner. Then take your magic eraser and give it one good extra scrub. If you have extra tough spots, Lime Away also works really well.
• If you haven’t changed your shower curtain liner in while and it is looking a little grim it just might be time to replace it with a fresh one!
• This is also a great time to replace all scrub brushes, loofas, or any other bath items.
• Next scrub that toilet like never before with your normal toilet bowl cleaner. Then scrub all other areas of the toilet, including the hard to get part on the floor. I feel like yuck nasty hair decides to collect in those hard to reach areas. I’m convinced its just to gross me out every time I clean the bathroom!! YUCK!
• Wipe down your bathroom sink area with your favorite bathroom cleaner. Magic Eraser works great here too!
• Wipe down all mirrors with your favorite glass cleaner or your own homemade glass cleaner.
• Wipe down the walls and trim from top to bottom with your Murphy's Oil Soap mixture.
• Sweep the bathroom floor. Empty your bucket and refill with some mild soap and hot water. Scrub the bathroom floor with a nice clean rag.
• Has your bathroom really ever been THIS clean? Sit down and drink a huge glass of lemonade.
Congratulations to Erinne Fullam for winning:
(1) LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes
(1) LYSOL® Disinfecting Wipes: Dual Action
(2) Allergy Defense Pillow Protector
(1) Dust Pan and Brush
Erinne said, "we're using synthetic bedding and I've got all the bumpers and crib gear all washed up!"
Thanks Lysol Community!