A Clean Manor provides fresh and simple ideas for a clean and organized home.

I've been interested in making my own laundry detergent for awhile, so I finally did some investigating & found a few recipes here.  I really wanted to use Fels Naptha soap as an ingredient--as I've used it for years for stains & thought it would be great to have it in the recipe.

The recipe I used:

1/3 bar of Fels Naptha soap

6 cups water

1/2 cup WASHING SODA

1/2 cup Borax

2 gallon bucket

Boil 6 cups water on top of the stove. Shave off 1/3 of the bar of Fels Naptha & put in the boiling water. Turn to low & keep stirring until dissolved. Stir in 1/2 c. washing soda & 1/2 c. Borax. Stir till thickened & remove from heat. Add 1 quart hot water to 2 gallon bucket. Add soap mixture & mix well. Fill bucket completely with additional hot water & mix well or until thickens. Cover & let sit for 24 hours. Use 1/4 - 1/2 cup per load.  The consistency is a little more gel like.

There is quite a cost savings by making your own detergent.

My cost :

This 2 gallons of detergent cost 71 cents.  If you use 1/2 cup per load the cost is 1.5 cents per load.   I only used 1/4 cup per load so I'm getting a great deal.

I've been using this homemade detergent for over a week now & it's cleans the clothes the same as the store bought I was using!!

Posted by Kim on May 24 10 | Comments (7)
Categories: Laundry,

Bookmark and Share

I've been using homemade detergent for about 4 months now. For my colored clothes and linens it works great! I found over time that it made my whites dingy though (this took about 2 months for me to discover). I've had to go back to using store bought detergent for my whites and the homemade detergent for my coloreds. Any tips for this? The receipe I use is your exact same recipe, however I make a 5 gallon batch at a time. It's frustrating because I want it to work on my whites!
Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/24

Actually yes there is something you can do! You can add 1/4-1/2 cup distilled white vinegar directly into your washer with your detergent when you are washing white or colors. We have tried it and it works great. I was worried about smell but there it does not smell while washing or when taking the clothes out. If you try it let us know what you think!
Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/24

OK, I would like to try this, but I am concerned. I am a little addicted to the scent of store bought laundry detergent. Is there any scent? Can you add a scent? BTW, you are so smart. I am loving this blog, I have already learned SOO MUCH. Thank you!
Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/25

ah, so glad i read the comments. i was wondering about dingy whites smile i think once i'm done with my current jug i will try to make some of this goodness. thank u for another post i can use. i'm ready for the next one. any advice for pet stains and stinkies?
Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/25

Tami - where did you purchase everything? and is this recipe HE/front loader safe? Thanks for the site, it's inspiring!
Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/27

Jessica, You should be able to purchase all of it at your local grocery stores. Kroger DOES sell the Fels Naptha, however each Kroger has it in a different spot and it can be hard to find so you can ask them where they keep it. It was only $1.29 a bar at Kroger! They should have the washing soda and borax too, but if not Meijer or Walmart should have them as well. Please let me know if you have trouble locating them. Yes, it is front load safe. My mom uses it in hers but just uses less. She uses about 1/4 a cup of detergent per load instead of the normal 1/2 cup and does not have a problem!!
Posted by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  on  05/27

ok, I REALLY want to try this. No one responded to Celia's comment, about whether you can change the smell? I would love to do this, but I too LOVE the way my detergent smells. I had no idea this was even possible, but I'm super excited I found your blog. Thanks!
Posted by OBGYN  on  01/12

Name:

Email:

Location:

URL:

Remember my personal information

Notify me of follow-up comments?

Submit the word you see below: